Kentucky DBE Program - The Entrepreneurial Development Institute
The Entrepreneurial Development Institute (EDI) was established by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) as a business development and technical assistance resource for certified Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE). EDI programs are largely funded by the Ohio River Bridges Project.
The KY DBE Program has chosen FastTrac® small business development programs, developed by the Kauffman Foundation for Entrepreneurship, which provide business owners with practical tools that help them grow their businesses with strategic planning tools. These comprehensive business skills help prepare these firms for opportunities with the Bridges Project, and beyond. EDI programs focus on the long-term success of certified Kentucky DBEs. Please contact the KY DBE Program Manager at , or by calling 502-499-9440 for more information about the EDI programs.
FastTrac® GrowthVenture™ - a 10-week program (three-hour sessions each week)
- Helps business owners take a step back, look at the big picture, and work on their businesses, not just in their businesses
- Helps business owners evaluate their business frameworks and determine the changes needed to improve performance and grow their businesses
- Helps to strengthen the ability for business owners to make critical decisions and equip themselves with the knowledge and skills needed to improve business performance
- Assists in the creation of a framework to determine the best way to pursue business growth
The primary objectives of the EDI FastTrac GrowthVenture program are to help business owners improve in key areas, including:
- Overall business strategies and visions for the future
- The ability to maintain a competitive advantage in the marketplace
- The changing role of managing a business
- How to align all aspects of their businesses
The first three FastTrac® GrowthVenture™ modules help business owners analyze their businesses' status and decide on a strategic direction. The last seven modules help the business owner evaluate each major aspect of the business, thus creating a strategic plan for growth.
- Setting Direction
- Week 1 - Sizing Up Your Business
- Week 2 - Exploring Growth Opportunities
- Week 3 - Making Strategic Decisions
- Taking Action -
- Week 4 - Using Financial Tools
- Week 5 - Strengthening the Product/Service
- Week 6 - Seizing the Market
- Week 7 - Leading the Organization
- Week 8 - Managing Operations for Growth
- Week 9 - Charting Financial Performance
- Week 10 - Making it Happen
FastTrac® Listening to Your Business™
This four-hour workshop takes business owners through a four-step evaluation and action process designed to enhance company performance now and in the future, including:
- Taking a snapshot of the business - A process for determining what stage of development the business is in
- Setting a three-year vision - A series of activities to determine goals
- Evaluating where the planning process - Assess what plans are, or are not, in place and how they can be adjusted or created to maximize the company's success
- Translating goals into action steps
The Listening to Your Business™ workshop is often used as a preliminary analytical tool that can help business owners understand what is involved in planning a growth strategy. Workshop participants often choose to follow this program with FastTrac® GrowthVenture™ in order to focus more sharply on the elements of setting direction and taking action.
For EDI schedule and registration information,
visit the KY DBE Program Manager's Registration.
For more information about the Ohio River Bridges Project’s EDI programs, please email the KY DBE Program Manager or call 502-499-9440.